“Introduction of Validity Period for Skills Assessments
Following amendments to the Migration Regulations 1994, from 1 July 2014, if a skills assessment is mandatory as part of a visa application, it will only be valid for a period of 3 years from the date of issue, unless a shorter validity period is specified on the assessment.
A skills assessment must be valid at the time of lodgement for the following visas:
- Direct Entry stream of the Employer Nominated Scheme (subclass 186) visa;
- Direct Entry stream of the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 187) visa; and
- Graduate Work stream of the Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa.
A skills assessment must be valid at the time of invitation to apply through SkillSelect for the following visas:
- Skilled—Independent (subclass 189) visa;
- Skilled—Nominated (subclass 190) visa; and
- Skilled Regional (Provisional) (subclass 489) visa.”
Business Innovation, Occupation and Employer Sponsor Policy Section
Department of Immigration and Border Protection
- “All visa applications made on or after 1 July 2014 will be subject to the new regulatory requirements concerning the validity of skills assessments. Applicants who have been invited to apply are encouraged to apply on or before 30 June 2014.
- Validity criteria will not affect partner skill points. The relevant subclause being amended is 189.212, which will require that the primary applicant has a valid skills assessment at the time of invitation. With regard to 189.214, the points score specified in the letter of invitation must be at least the same or greater at the time of application.
- Where the new instrument specifies a change in skills assessing authority ie VETASSESS to ANMAC. VETASSESS assessments will continue to be valid for three years from their issue date.”