Migration Agent Sydney

English Courses in Australia

If you don’t come from an English speaking country, you will need to be able to demonstrate a level of English language proficiency before you can get a visa to work or study in Australia.

For most visas, non-native English speakers will need to have an IELTS score of at least 4.5. For many overseas applicants, this means taking a further course of study before you apply for your visa. You can complete this course in Australia on a short-term student visa specifically designed to allow people to study English here.


If you are planning on studying English to help your future visa application, it’s important that the course you study is approved and recognised by the Australian Government. If it isn’t, you could be wasting your time and money on an English language course that doesn’t qualify you to migrate to Australia on a longer term basis once you have completed it.


What English qualifications are approved?


While the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is the most commonly recognised English qualification in Australia, there are some others that will be accepted for the purposes of a visa application:


  • Occupational English Test (OET).
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic.
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-Based Test (TOEFL iBT).
  • Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test.


If you are considering taking an English course to help you get a visa, make sure it will give you a qualification that you can actually use on your application. Depending on the type of visa you apply for, you may need to take an advanced or academic English language course.


Where can I find an approved English course in Sydney?


There are plenty of English language courses available in Sydney. Many overseas students choose to study in Australia’s biggest city to enjoy the great climate and appealing lifestyle. While you will probably be spoilt for options, a number of overseas students choose to take a English language courses at schools such as SCE or SELC.


There are many different courses available, depending on your current level of English and your future plans, however a few of the most popular are:


  • General English. This is great for beginners up to pre-intermediate level and can last anything from five to 30 weeks depending on your level of English.
  • Academic English. This course prepares students for advanced level studies at an Australian educational institution. Student will further their academic skills including seminar presentation, academic reading and academic writing.
  • IELTS Prep. If you are intending to take the IELTS English test, this course will teach you the skills needed to pass.


Taking an English language course can be your first step on the path to your life in Australia. To find out more about visa language requirements, speak to a qualified migration agent in Sydney.

1 Comment
  1. apollin moyo

    We are a group of African looking for Australia Visitor (subclass 600) visa . ¨Please send us requirements.


    Apollin MOYO

Leave Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

clear formSubmit